Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Motivation to get in shape - what's your Zombie?

I'm positive that everyone reading this statement has at some point remarked, "Wow, I need to get in shape". I can also positively state that most of you have started and then quickly abandoned a workout regimen after making such a remark.

I have made that statement 4 times since the end of February of 2006 - that was I was able to start walking again after being gutted like a fish to save me from the big "C" (Note that the picture to the right is NOT me - it's Tom Green after he had the same surgery - I don't think any of you want to see MY bare stomach).
The last time I made that statement, I was so incredibly motivated to succeed, that I increased my weekly running mileage way to quickly and went from loping like a gazelle down 21st East, to hobbling like an old man up 13th South.

Now that my injuries have healed, I'm having a hard time getting off my butt and starting to run again. I am lacking motivation, and as I told my buddy Jake, "I'm not getting any fatter, but I sure ain't getting any thinner". Jake helped me to remember the greatest motivator of all - the Undead.

Any of you who have watched 28 days later, Dawn of the Dead, or any other "Zombie Training Films" as I like to call them, you know that the physically unfit will be the first to have their brains eaten.

Prepare now, because when you have a flaming zombie chasing after you, it's too late to realize that you should have been putting in 30 miles a week in your running shoes. Don't say I didn't warn you.

I plan on seeing "I Am Legend" - not exactly a Zombie flick, but it has the same principle and Will Smith's character obviously gets it as you can see him running on a treadmill in the trailer. Until I get out to this movie, I plan on watching a healthy regimen of Resident Evil, Night of the Living Dead, etc... to motivate me so that someday I won't be shuffling around the streets of SLC, with only one arm as I moan for "Braaaaaaaaaaains!"

2 comments:

Becca Jo said...

Holy cow I thought that was your tummy. The scar looks the same! :) and we DO have pics of it. That's funny.

Georganne said...

You know what else works? Competition. I believe you are at least slightly competitive...:) Challenge someone you don't want to lose to to a race/competition sometime in the future. And then tell everyone about it. Especially the people you wouldn't want to tell if you lost. But you have to make sure that person is competitive also.