Thursday, January 24, 2008

Valentine

Here's an early song for Valentine's Day, from the Old 97's:



I first heard this song from a friend at Utah State University back in the fall of 2000 - has it really been that long ago?

The Old 97's are a Dallas bar band - I dig their sound and I like this version of the song almost better than the studio recorded version from the album Fight Songs.

I think that songs are probably the closest we'll ever get to a true "time machine" - this one takes me back to some good memories.

Heartbreak, old friend, goodbye it's me again.
Of late, I've had some thought of movin' in.
Of all the many ways a man will lose his home,
Well, there ain't none better than the girl who's movin' on.

True love, I knew some thought of leavin' you.
Bad thoughts I had, when valentines were due.
Of all the many ways a man will break his heart,
Well there ain't none meaner than he pulls his own apart

Valentine, the destroyer, Valentine, you belong
In the stars, where you are, always rollin' on.
Cried, I've cried till I couldn't carry on.
It's a lonely, lonely feelin' when your Valentine is wrong.
It's a lonely, lonely feelin' when your Valentine is wrong.

Of all the many things that you were countin' on,
Well, there ain't none better than the girl who's movin' on.
No, there ain't none better than the girl who's movin' on.

No comments: